8 Tips for Avoiding Indecision and OverthinkingMar 18, 2022
Do you ever feel it's impossible to make a decision on important topics or even unimportant ones? Do you spend a lot of time and energy rethinking what might be the right decision to make? Do you spend a lot of time worrying about making the wrong decision?
If you can relate to indecision and overthinking things, you are in the right place. And I want you to know you are not alone. Indecision consumes a lot of energy for many people. But today is the day you can break free from uncertainty for good and spend your time and energy doing more of what you love and value.
So, grab yourself a glass of water. And make sure you have a pen and paper handy so you are ready to take notes! In this blog, I reveal to you …
8 Tips for Avoiding Indecision and Overthinking
The decisions you make have the power to impact the quality of your life significantly. And you might think that making better decisions is one of the most effective ways to enhance your life. However, making a good decision requires making a decision. Too many people avoid making decisions altogether or spend far too much time and energy making a decision. And too often, no decision at all is a decision in itself and not the right one.
But I have good news for you. A great decision doesn't require a lot of time or energy most of the time.
Here are 8 tips to avoid indecision and overthinking so you can make decisions more quickly in the future.
- Know your purpose. Being clear on your purpose or intention makes the best option more obvious. For example, if your purpose is to be in great shape and run marathons, it might be easier to decide what to eat and how to spend your spare time. Where should you live? If you want to raise sheep, living in a city might not be ideal. So get crystal clear on your purpose to help you make decisions that align with that purpose.
- Be logical. Many people make poor decisions because they rely on emotion instead of logic. Don't get me wrong, being in touch with your emotions is important. But the best decisions become more apparent when you can be logical about the situation. Think of it this way; what would you recommend to a friend in the same situation? It is usually your best option also.
- Plan ahead. Let's be honest; what doesn't get planned gets left up to chance. In other words, it doesn't happen. It's easier to make wise decisions when you make them ahead of time because you know what needs to get done. The problem is the follow-through. So mark your commitments in your calendar and do it. Avoid changing your mind when the time comes. Commit and then stick to your decisions. Do not go to bed without a clear plan for your day ahead. And when you wake up, don't rethink everything; just get it done. It's not about making perfect decisions but making decent decisions and sticking with them. Plan ahead and then execute your decisions.
- Know your values. It is difficult to make good decisions if you are unclear about your values. Do you know your top 3 values? When faced with a difficult choice, determine which decision most closely aligns with your core values. You'll find that the decision is much easier to make.
- Give yourself a deadline. Successful people have the ability to make decisions quickly. Setting a deadline can be an effective way of making a decision quickly or avoiding taking a long time. Give yourself a few minutes to a few days. As you get better, you will naturally notice you need less time to reach important decisions. Once a decision is made, take action. Try not to go back on your decision unless there are clear indications it was the wrong one.
- Realize there might be multiple feasible options. If you're indecisive or torn between equally viable options, chances are more than one of your options is a good starting point. There might not be a "best" option. So, just pick one. Flip a coin if you are stuck in indecision. And remember that making a decision doesn't mean you have to remain stuck in a bad decision. Making faster decisions will help you get unstuck and move forward, but it doesn't mean continuing along a path you have evidence is not leading you where you want to go.
- Journal. If you still feel stuck, it's time to consider the reason for your hesitation. Get your journal or notebook out and ask yourself a few questions. Why are you hesitating? What's holding you back? What are your concerns? What are you afraid might happen? Is there a way to mitigate this fear so you can make a decision? What is the worst possible outcome? What is the best possible outcome? Take time to journal about your concerns and clarify your intentions. Practicing deeper introspection and listening to your inner wisdom will make a difference in the long term.
- Don't try to be perfect. Trying to be perfect only leads to procrastination and indecision. Sometimes done is better than perfect because it frees your energy for more important projects and decisions.
We have a limited capacity for decision-making every day. If you use your energy to review the same decision every day, you waste valuable time and resources. The quality of your life will dramatically improve when you practice making better and quicker decisions. Making a decision isn't a race, but you have nothing to gain by delaying deciding on issues you already have the information you need.
Make faster decisions so you can go about the business of living your life.
Share your experience with indecision in the comments below. Someone else is dealing with the exact same issues as you are. Let's support each other on the journey.
The journey continues every day. That's why I create these trainings. We have to make the time to reconnect to ourselves and remind ourselves of who we are, our inner most desires and longings and then step boldly forward to make an impact out in the world.
It matters. Because you matter. You are worthy to take up space and live an amazing life, and it is your responsibility to live and experience this life to the fullest. No one will do it for you. And when you do, you give others the permission to do it also.
An amazing life is not for the few "lucky" individuals. It is for YOU. That's why you are here right now. You know deep down in your heart that it's for you. So please don't waste another moment in indecision by thinking that you have to have it all figured out before you can start taking action towards the life you truly want. You can take an imperfect and messy step forward right now. Invest in yourself.
You are worth it.
If any of this resonates with you, reach out to me. Click the link below to schedule a complimentary transformation session with me. Let's connect and figure out what you need to move forward and live the highest possibility for your life.
Make the time. Take the step. Reach forward. Schedule a call.
I look forward to connecting with you.
Is there something holding you back? Do you feel stuck, ashamed, unlovable, unworthy or depressed? Do you long to transform your life and create what you truly desire most?
Stay connected with news and updates!
Join our mailing list and be the first to know about new events and workshops!
Don't worry, your information will not be shared.
We hate SPAM. We will never sell your information, for any reason.